Saturday, May 22, 2010

News, Notes, and Random stuff...

It's been a while since I last posted on this blog. I feel like a bad parent! LOL! When I created "Unfiltered", my intention was to blog my thoughts on various subjects...humor, music, movies, and general rants about things that upset me. However, I seem to find myself on Twitter so often that I tend to just rant there. I hope to find other interseting things to discuss here on my blog in the future. Please follow my Twitter feed at www.twitter.com/BigBennyRadio for rants that come from the top of my dome. That being said, here are a few notes and random stuff...


I was happy to hear that my friend Erica Viking, formerly of 94 Rock, had landed a new morning radio gig at Coyote 102.5. She is an incredible personality and deserves everything good that comes to her. I'm sure she will do well. She's going to have to learn the art of doing a one-person morning show. It isn't easy...I should know! LOL...


I'd like to thank the folks at Leo's Nightclub that approached me recently telling me how much they miss me doing the hosting duties (I was released from the club a few weeks ago due to a "business decision"...story of my life). It always feels good to be missed. I was actually approached at Wal Mart 2 weeks ago by a gentleman at the registers. I was waiting for my wife to finish our transaction when the man rolled up on me, stared a second, then asked if I was Big Benny. I replied "yes", and he proceeded to tell me how much he liked my radio show, and he then proceeded to call me the most entertaining DJ in ABQ...wow! All of this was told to me 1 FULL YEAR after I had been released from Clear Channel Radio's Hot 95.1. He also said he sent an angry e-mail on my behalf after I was let go. Again...I appreciate it...


So I stopped watching "American Idol" after Big Mike was voted off, and don't really care if Crystal or Lee wins the contest. I guess I'm bitter because "Idol" has become a shell of what the show was designed to do, in my opinion. Follow me here...when the show began, we all seemed to vote for the person who we thought was the best singer, and who we thought could sell some serious albums. Unfortunately, the show has become a program where young kids seem to text in votes at a ridiculous pace, based solely on how cute a contestant might be. This year, Big Mike easily had the best singing voice. However, he would have finished like, 6th or something due to votes if the judges hadn't saved him. At least the judges knew he had a great voice...they had to save Mike from America. If the show continues after judge Simon Cowell leaves, then I will lower my expectations. Instead of expecting the most talented artist to win, I will treat "Idol" as nothing more than a glorified karaoke/popularity contest. That way I won't get upset when I see very talented performers axed from the show due to the fact that they don't appeal to 16 year old girls in Iowa with automated voting texts and calls! LOL! PS - Ellen DeGeneres...best part of "American Idol" this season. Kara DioGuardi? Worst part (girl, stay a judge. You're fine, but doing 'Maxim' photo shoots doesn't help your credibility with me).

OK...I'd better end it there. Look for more from this blog in the future. Thanks for reading, and as always, KEEP IT REAL!

No comments:

Post a Comment