Monday, June 22, 2009

Stand Up is da shit!


You know what? I still have only experienced "bombing" on stage once in my entire life. You know...bombing? The feeling that every joke you tell, whether you think it's good or bad, absolutely does not connect with the audience. You've studied the joke. You've asked your friends about it. You've tested it privately. And, the only thing left to do is to get on stage and let it rip for a new audience.

I stood up there, and no matter what I said, no matter how funny it sounded when I first thought of it, it was a complete...absolute...piece of crap in the world of comedy. At the time it happened to me, I was on stage in a bar that wasn't a comedy club. It was a bar that had a great $2 drink special (ANY drink in the bar). They were supposed to be my people. We were all minorities. Yet, I couldn't connect.. I tried my best stuff. It fell flat. I kept asking myself "What am I do doing wrong?" The truth? I didn't prepare to perform for them the same way I had prepared for audiences before. My mistake? Thinking that ANYTHING I had done before was gonna work again. The saddest part? I was in front of a crowd of African-American and Hispanic-Americans.

How is this possible? An Hispanic-American should NEVER fail reaching a crowd who should respond favorably to his/her comedy!


Truth? ANY comic should not only study who they have performed in front of, but also the crowd they are supposed to perform in front of! The most inportant crowd you perform in front of is...the NEXT ONE! Don't let up...keep your foot on the gas!

No comments:

Post a Comment